Welcome to SEO Unity!

SEO Unity is an active community of SEO members. We provide a unique platform for you to learn and share ideas about search engine optimization, marketing, and how to make money online. Signup today and start interacting with other SEO experts around the world and get free access to premium SEO tools.

Create a Free Account

Translated Content for more Traffic

Discussion in 'SEO Chatroom' started by Nathan Norse, Aug 8, 2018.

1. Nathan Norse

Nathan Norse Regular Member

My site works in English, Russian, and a few other languages. Most of this is accomplished through translation services that make it work on the fly for users. I've started duplicating some posts though so that one version is held on the site in each language so that (I hope) I'll get more of the traffic I'm looking for from the markets I'm fishing in. I do worry that since the content is just the same but translated, will that hurt my rankings since I have things (technically) posted multiple times? I dunno.

2. Claire

Claire Regular Member

If you work with a translation plugin on the backend of your site, you will not need to keep multiple copies of the same post/write up. I am not sure what software you are running your site with but storing multiple languages is sure to slow it down which can hurt your rankings.

3. Nathan Norse

Nathan Norse Regular Member

Thanks Claire, I will look into using a plug-in. I was going about this the wrong way.

Can you recommend any in particular that work well with WordPress powered sites?

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  4. Sami F.

Sami F. Regular Member

Stick with a plug-in like mentioned and keep it simple. Most browsers these days have built-in translators as well. I know Chrome does for a fact as I use it myself.

5. Dave C.

Dave C. Regular Member

The idea behind this makes sense. Like you would want people who speak different languages to be able to visit your site and read it but you also don't want to sacrifice speed as mentioned. Just stick to a plug in.

6. MickLouis

MickLouis Regular Member

I never understood the appeal of doing this. Chrome does translations automatically as do the other top browsers. I am not sure how it works on mobile. Whatever you decide, make sure it doesn't slow your site down!