Welcome to SEO Unity!

SEO Unity is an active community of SEO members. We provide a unique platform for you to learn and share ideas about search engine optimization, marketing, and how to make money online. Signup today and start interacting with other SEO experts around the world and get free access to premium SEO tools.

Create a Free Account

Google Custom Search - Does it really help?

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by Claire, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Claire

Claire Regular Member

It's been a long standing myth, at least in the developer circles I've taken part in, that having Google Custom search installed on your website as it's search tool improves your rankings in searches on the "real" Google search engine. I know of at least 2 developers who use this as a point in their sales pitches to clients, and it seems the notion still rings true for some- they wouldn't keep bringing it up if it didn't sway anyone or didn't have any shred of truth to it.

On the other side of this myth, I am the doubter. I presume that any site is crawled by an even number of crawlers from the various search engines, and having Google Custom search on your website will not make any meaningful difference. However, it's been a long time since I've had a site with a Google Custom Search "module" installed to compare any data with, and I'm curious if anyone has looked at this more closely than I who could give it a more "final" verdict- am I right or wrong on this one?