Welcome to SEO Unity!

SEO Unity is an active community of SEO members. We provide a unique platform for you to learn and share ideas about search engine optimization, marketing, and how to make money online. Signup today and start interacting with other SEO experts around the world and get free access to premium SEO tools.

Create a Free Account

Effects of a domain change

Discussion in 'SEO Chatroom' started by Patrick00, Aug 29, 2018.

1. Patrick00

Patrick00 Regular Member

Have you ever moved your site to a new domain name? What impact does it have?

I am considering it myself because I have acquired a more relevant domain to my niche, but don't want to take any hit in rankings.

Please share your experience!

2. MickLouis

MickLouis Regular Member

A lot of people ask this question and there really isn't a clear answer I can give. I have never done this myself to have hands on experience but from what others have shared, if you do everything right, your rankings should be able to adjust back to normal within a weeks time.

3. daveEvel

daveEvel Regular Member

In some cases, it may take a month or two. This is not always the case and it depends on how you move it, when you move it, and if there is any downtime.

4. Julian Ann

Julian Ann Regular Member

Yes, I know in my circle. There is my one friend & he did so his website was getting low rank.

5. W. White

W. White Regular Member

If you move everything correctly and it is all done in one fluid motion (setting everything else up on another site and clone copying it over) then I would say it should only take a few days to update. Traffic will likely dip by 15% to 60% for a few days but be back to normal in no time.