Welcome to SEO Unity!

SEO Unity is an active community of SEO members. We provide a unique platform for you to learn and share ideas about search engine optimization, marketing, and how to make money online. Signup today and start interacting with other SEO experts around the world and get free access to premium SEO tools.

Create a Free Account

Does no-follow matter?

Discussion in 'Link Building' started by daveEvel, Sep 2, 2018.

1. daveEvel

daveEvel Regular Member

Before I continue to link build, I need to know... does no-follow make any difference?

I know Googlebot won't follow that link, but it still counts as a backlink which is what matters, right?
    Please tell me I haven't been wasting my time!

2. XportMan

XportMan Regular Member

I never use the follow option on my sites. I always tick "no-follow". The reason why is because it doesn't make any difference. None that I have found anyways.

3. cyouweb

cyouweb Regular Member

I think when links to your site are no-follow ,the authority of site doesn't increase. but I use this method too.

4. James

James New Member

No-follow links matter. A lot. Recent research conducted by SEMrush showed that the overall number of backlinks is as important as a total number of do-follow links.

Therefore, do-follows are really important but not less important than the total number of backlinks in general. Focus on getting ~70% do-follow backlinks, but do not forget about no-follows.

Imo, the best strategy is to focus on high DR do-follow backlinks.

5. Julian Ann

Julian Ann Regular Member

According to Google's recent update, Dofollow links are counted for ranking measure & Nofollow links do not affect for ranking signal but somewhere both are needed to be trusted.

If a website only has do follow links that are suspicious to Google but to make a site's link juice rich and healthy. You should consider 70% dofollow links and 30% nofollow links.

6. Julian Ann

Julian Ann Regular Member

Yes, No-follow matter in link building, No-follow dont' give value to website or blog as Do-follow does but yes No-follow helps to gain traffic.

So don't worry about No-follow links, No-follow will give you traffic.

7. daisey

daisey Regular Member

I always tick my links as "no follow". From what my husband has said, it can hurt traffic if you allow link following. It eventually pulls traffic away from your site instead of bringing it in.

8. samleo

samleo Regular Member

There is more to it than this. The only time it benefits a site is if it is a marketplace. If you are running a general service site, blog, or informational site, just best to not use it.

daisey likes this.
  9. daisey

daisey Regular Member

I'll have to read up more on it soon. Thanks for letting me know though. I never understood it entirely myself and have heard mixed things about it.

samleo likes this.
  10. samleo

samleo Regular Member

No problem Daisey. If you are confused about anything just ask and I will see if I can help ya out.

daisey likes this.