Welcome to SEO Unity!

SEO Unity is an active community of SEO members. We provide a unique platform for you to learn and share ideas about search engine optimization, marketing, and how to make money online. Signup today and start interacting with other SEO experts around the world and get free access to premium SEO tools.

Create a Free Account

Can someone explain "Canonical URLs"?

Discussion in 'Search Engines' started by Sam I Am, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Sam I Am

Sam I Am Regular Member

This is a new phrase for me. I am not familiar with what it is. I was reading an article and it mentioned it several times. I am a but confused by what I read on Google after I search for an answer. Can someone explain what these are exactly?

2. Mel

Mel Regular Member

They are basically a concept that involves selecting URL's based on what you want the visors to see. There are tags that typically follow these URLs. Basically, they are designed to keep URL pages from being duplicates. Below are examples:

example .com/
    www.example.com/index .html
    example.com/home .asp

These would appear to be the same to the visitor but can be entirely different pages for you.

3. davidmanchovick

davidmanchovick Regular Member

If you have 2 similar pages & you want to update to google that this one is the original page. then you can do this through canonical tag.

4. seoninja25

seoninja25 Regular Member

A canonical issue arises when 301 redirects are not properly in place. This means that your website can be accessed by search engines from several different URLs. A canonical tag (aka "rel canonical") is a way of telling search engines that a specific URL represents the master copy of a page. Using the canonical tag prevents problems caused by identical or "duplicate" content appearing on multiple URLs.